Almost every home on earth has a microwave oven; it is an undeniably convenient piece of equipment that most of us cannot live without especially because of lifestyles becoming so busy and such a rush. But despite the excellent safety track record of microwaves and all their advantages and uses many people still have doubts about the health benefits of a microwave oven. This article on pros and cons of microwave cooking will help to update your knowledge on health issues of using microwave oven and would make you to take a right decision whether use a microwave or not.
Top Trending Microwave Oven Products
How a Microwave Oven Works?
Understanding how a microwave works may answer your questions about the pros and cons of microwave cooking. A microwave uses waves of energy just a bit shorter than that of a radio wave to cook food. Microwaves causes molecules in food to vibrate quickly and build up thermal energy, nutrients break down when they are exposed to heat, especially Vitamin C. Microwave cooking is so fast that most nutrients are exposed to the heat for such a short time that nutrients and vitamin C are better preserved in a Microwave than in another piece of cooking equipment. Using water or liquid to cook vegetables also robs them of much needed nutrients. The best way to cook vegetables and food overall is to use the smallest amount of liquid or water and cook for the shortest time period to preserve the most nutrients, especially Vitamin C.
Top 10 Best Microwave Ovens Products
|1||Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN651B Black...||1,324 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|2||AmazonBasics Microwave, Small, 0.7 Cu. Ft, 700W,...||1,266 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|3||Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection...||1,218 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|4||Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD372S Stainless Steel...||1,111 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|5||Toshiba EM925A5A-BS Microwave Oven with Sound...||958 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|6||Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN936B Black...||942 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|7||Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart...||904 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|8||Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD945S Stainless Steel...||772 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|9||Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SU696S Stainless Steel...||735 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
|10||hOmeLabs Countertop Microwave Oven - 1.3 Cu. Ft.,...||540 Reviews||CHECK PRICE|
Pros and Cons of Microwave Cooking
Advantages of Microwave Cooking
Disadvantages of Microwave Cooking
- You can easily burn yourself by handling very hot food from the microwave. The Microwave has a unique way of cooking food; most foods can heat up unevenly and explode. Water in the Microwave will be super-heated without the water actually boiling, but as soon as you put something, for example a tea bag in the water the water will suddenly start boiling.
- Microwaves have a tendency of not cooking or heating food evenly, the outside of the food will be cooked or heated and the inside will still be raw or uncooked. In some cases food containing bacteria may cause health issues because the heat from the microwave did not penetrate deeply enough into the food to kill the microorganisms.
- Although there has been no definitive data to prove it, research has been done on microwaves to see if the radiation that a microwave uses can alter the makeup of food in a way that it becomes toxic. Radiation in itself is dangerous.
- The radiation emitted by microwaves is not enough to cause damage to human tissue when you are in contact with a microwave. There is also said to be small amounts of radiation leaking from Microwaves. Even though there have been no reported cases of radiation poisoning through use of a microwave it is still advised not to put your face or hands close to a microwave while it is on.
- Plastics heated in the microwave can release very high amounts of Bisphenol A, (BPA) which is believed to be a very harmful substance.
- Heating food in the Microwave can strip food of much of its nutritional value. This is still debatable as with some research it is believed that microwaving food destroys less nutrients because of the shorter cooking or heating times.
- It is not recommended to microwave breast milk, baby formula or baby food because it destroys the nutrients and live cultures that are required for a baby for normal growth.
- The health benefits of Vitamin B-12 are also instantly refuted when food containing the vitamin is heated in a Microwave. Foods containing Vitamin B-12 are, Pork, beef and milk.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, there is not much proven research to correctly state that Microwaving food is hazardous to your health although microwaving food does take away some of the nutrients and it does have a serious effect on foods such as milk and breast milk. Microwaving your food may not be the most healthy or safest option but it is most certainly the most convenient and least time consuming way.